Who We Are
Focus - Founder of Argenta, Alan is now engaged with developing the company through the combined talents of the whole Argenta team.
- A knowledgeable, experienced and effective facilitator of creative change, Alan's interest is in bringing creative thinking to "dissolve" the problems of organisational life. The people involved benefit personally and their companies achieve their targets more quickly and effectively.
Experience - Research (social applications of science and technology), teaching (physics and technology), management (UK and international sales and marketing), company boardroom (Marketing and Managing directorships in electronic design and manufacturing) and independent consultancy form Alan's main sources of life-long learning.
Qualifications - BSc (Hons) in Physics, Edinburgh University; MBA from the Open University Business School (specialism in Creativity, Innovation & Change)
- Associate Lectureships with OUBS and Grenoble Graduate School of Business delivering Creative Management modules in their MBA programmes; Languages: English, French
Focus - Ron's passion is in the use of complexity, community and narrative-based approaches to resolve organisational problems.
- He enjoys working as coach, facilitator or trainer in the fields of knowledge sharing, change management, team building and problem-solving.
- Based in the East Midlands, UK
Experience - Ron worked extensively for the UK Government, from Customs and Excise to the Nature Conservancy Council and English Nature, gaining practical experience of Knowledge Management and Community building.
As an independent consultant since 2008, Ron has worked on many projects including narrative capture and analysis across schools in UK, Asia and the Middle East and facilitated workshops for a wide variety of Defence, Health and Scientific Research based organisations. He has also given many highly regarded talks and courses on the use of storytelling in business.
Qualifications - BSc (Hons) in Combined Science (Ecology and Geology)
- accredited Cognitive Edge practitioner in complexity methods including the use of "SenseMaker", a narrative-based software tool for, among other things, the amplification of "weak signals"
- trained in Structured Systems Analysis and Design Methodology (SSADM), Process Modelling and Business Process Re-engineering (BPR), TRIZ design and development methods.
Focus - Julia combines expertise in facilitation with a background in strategy development for clients. She has a broad perspective on organisational life, drawn from a variety of countries and industry sectors.
- As a consultant and coach, Julia helps teams and individuals to engage with new ideas, and to identify steps for change in the short and the long term.
- Based in London.
Experience - Julia started her career with Shell then spent several years in international social research before switching to a City finance dot.com. This was followed by Price Waterhouse Cooper Consulting, then a boutique strategy firm in London. Since 2005 she has developed her own consulting practice, and joined Argenta as a consultant in 2009.
- She has worked with people at senior levels in numerous private and public organisations including Orange and the BBC.
Qualifications - MSc (Economics) and BA Hons (Thai and Politics) from the University of London. Languages: English, Thai
- qualified Executive Coach
Brian Sherwood Jones
Focus - Brian specialises in the human aspects of complex systems to provide assurance of safe and effective working from the initial system design through to operational use. He has contributed to delivering innovation in the context of Systems Engineering and Human-Centred Design throughout his career.
- Based in Strathclyde, Scotland
Experience - Brian's career at BAE Systems, YARD Ltd and Westland Helicopters included "aircraft" ship and submarine design, computer system design, knowledge engineering, and R&D. Since 1999, Brian has been involved in the introduction of changes at an industry level, has contributed to the development of international standards and run many projects in human factors integration and systems engineering through his own consultancy.
Clients include Lloyd's Register of Shipping, Glasgow School of Art, BAE Systems, Thales. In 2009, Brian became an Argenta consultant.
Qualifications - B.Sc. (Hons) Experimental Psychology, University of Sussex
- M.Sc. Industrial Psychology, University of Hull
- accredited Cognitive Edge practitioner in complexity methods
- Fellow of the Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors
Focus - Drawing on his solid industrial experience as Concept Designer, Product Developer and Programme Manager in high technology companies, John is Chairman of Argenta. His role is to keep the rest of us up to the mark in terms of our strategies, by asking some tough questions about where we want to go and how we are going to get there - the sort of stuff that can too easily be put to one side in the rush to deliver operational objectives.
Experience - John’s career ranges from the development of the earliest domestic microwave ovens in the UK in the early 70’s, breakthrough research into infra red digital imaging technology in the mid 70’s to mid 80’s to the development of the latest, high-technology weapon systems in service with defence forces across the world. He was chief Engineer for a number of guides weapons from the mid 80’s to 90’s and more recently Group Head of Developments (GHoD- his favourite title) with responsibility for ensuring the technical excellence of all products in a highly innovative global defence company.
- This overtly technical experience was always aligned with John’s belief in the importance of people’s behaviours and attitudes and the importance of a happy, fulfilled team. He applied these principles within his own global teams and was an active player in all company change programmes. He led a company-wide Innovation Programme (supported throughout by Argenta) to release the creativity of the whole multinational workforce for the benefit of individuals and the company.
- John retired from full-time employment in early 2009 and now runs his own consultancy focussing on organisation development, knowledge transfer, strategic benefit analysis, and of course the release of creativity and innovation.
Qualifications - BSc (Hons) Applied Physics, University Of Wales Institute of Science & Technology.
- MSc Physics of thin Films and solid Surfaces, Sir John Cass, London University
- Member of Institute of Physics
- Author of 3 patents and published a number of papers on infra-red technology and guided weapons at international conferences.